Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Peace Within

My thoughts this morning are centered around peace within in the context of disagreement.

Aside from the obvious of why it is difficult for people to live and let live and agree to disagree with one another, my question is how peace is cultivated and sustained from within.

There is the outer peace making, and then there is the inner true essence of not simply being peaceful, but being peace.

In the face of conflict, it may be that I say to a respected colleague, I see your point of view, and I respectfully disagree.  Your position is such and such and I do not see it that way.  As Dr. Tom says, you see things differently, and that makes you my equal.  When we use the method versus content model in understanding another's point of view, we are practicing peace.

When we practice the method versus content model in peace making, we are looking specifically at the method in which a conclusion is drawn, and not at all on the content of the subject.

The point above is most interesting to me as I am reminded that every person sees the world from a certain orientation, biased based on upbringing, culture, education, socio-economic orientation in life. 

No one can escape or deny this - all of the programming, heritage, culture and DNA that we carry around is part of our manifestation.  Only by awareness of this programming and background, and how it positions our lenses can we understand that we are no different from the other.  My theology, and what I choose to believe is that there is no other.  There is only one, and the one is the healing harmonizing power of love.

As the song goes: "There ain't no good guys, there ain't no bad guys.  There's only you  and I and we just disagree."

So how do I practice peace in a world of conflict?  Shall I sit in my ivory tower and pray and meditate all day?  How shall I descend on 'real life' and join other human beings in practicing, cultivating and developing peaceful and (dare I say, loving) ways of conflict resolution?
 
It is human nature to care and be passionate about a topic that is considered dear and near to the heart - let's say, for example - the "simple" topic of life versus choice.   The common denominator is, of course, the question of morality - whether we have the right to abort a fetus.

When we look at the content of this issue, we see the distinctly different perspectives:  One sees that life begins at conception.  The other side sees that life is not viable until a certain stage of development in the womb. 

In examining the methodology, we can see the reason behind the conclusion of what is.  And from there, we can have a conversation of not right or wrong, but to have a means of understanding.

I believe that asking the right questions will inspire the right answers:
  • So how do we stay centered in such a deeply personal conversation and maintain the utmost respect for the other?
  • We know that there is a possibility to co-exist in a world with different ideals, values and practices.  But how do we truly cultivate a world that works for all?     
  • What is our own personal spiritual practice so that we do not get caught up in the conversation, lose perspective and advocate peace?  
  • How do we bring our spiritual best into practical use?   

It may sound like a total cliche, but I truly believe that peace begins with me. 

Learning to be peace is not easy, but I do believe it is possible for each and everyone of us, should we honestly and authentically chose it for ourselves.  It is a life long work to remember wisdom and then, we must choose to grow up (Spiritually) so that we can implement the wisdom itself.

It takes a consciousness of knowing that I am not my programming, not my thoughts, not my ideals, not my values, not my emotions.  Remembering and centering on the knowing that what I am in Spirit, in a human incarnation.

It is a life long quest to come into full awareness of our programming (Orientation, biases, etc), to allow the skin of who we think we are to dissolve and to learn peace by seeing love in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment